Monday, 29 December 2008

Stef Reviews... Revisiting Sonic 3 and Sonic 2

Beginning christmas day, I started replaying Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 via a Sega Megadrive emulator on my DS (very cool). I absolutely love this series of games, and cruelly was denied a Megadrive of my own in my youth, so I had to make do with the Game Gear variants (which weren't even a tiny patch on the mega drive epics). Either way, a few years ago, when emulators and roms and that became all the rage (which they still are, to be honest), I downloaded and completed Sonic 1, 2, Sonic and Knuckles, and a plethora of other games. However, Sonic 3 got me stuck in the Carnival Night Zone, and so this was where I began. 

SONIC 3



This game is probably the most epic of Sonic games, introducing Knuckles as a bad guy (because Robotnik had tricked him! Read the comics already!). At the time, this must have been one of the most epic games to come out, I mean, I didn't even own a megadrive, but I read Sonic the Comic and other gaming magazines almost religiously, and this game was HYPED. Especially in Sonic the Comic where the comic's storylines started being about the game's storyline. For a kid, that stuff is huge, and I still get that excitement now. Especially when re-reading all of the past Sonic the Comic's. And I've finally finished this one now too, the Carnival Zone bit where I was stuck was ridiculous. Stupid bouncing barrel thing.

SONIC 2



Right, I've gotten sidetracked, and am now going to spend my night watched the old Sonic TV series (Not the slapstick one, the GOOD one) and most likely read more STC. Sonic 2 was an ace game though, I finished it again today, in two fairly short sittings. Good times!



NOTE: In both game completions, I didn't collect all the emeralds. I do plan on doing this at a later date, but I'm all about quick fixes at the moment! 

NEXT UP: SONIC 1! and SONIC & KNUCKLES!

No comments: